Tuesday, February 14, 2012

About hobbies

As part of my rethinking of our storage system, I'm moving some of my books around. In the process I'm discovering books I had forgotten about, so of course I have to peek inside them. One such book was Simple Abundance, by Sarah Ban Breathnach. I peeked into the middle, as I often do with books. She was writing about hobbies: what they might be and where they might fit into our lives. I set the book aside for immediate perusing, because hobbies are of course on my new daily to-do list.

I already have several hobbies, but I am open to new ones so was intrigued by her set of questions designed to help people who don't already have hobbies find some. First, she said to recall your favorite childhood game or the best time you ever had as a youngster. Then brainstorm questions like "If you could instantly acquire three additional skills, what would they be?" Or "What three outrageous things would you try if no one knew about it?" You might consider the three vacations you would take if all expenses were paid. Might you include something like an archaeological dig?

"There's a fabulous world out there just waiting to be explored," she wrote. "We simply have to be willing to experiment."  I translated this as encouragement to think bigger. First, we home in on activities that truly fit US, and then we free ourselves to think adventurously, to go beyond the safe or time-constricted limits that perhaps confined us during our busy working days.

That's certainly worth mulling over -- or, as Ban Breathnach called it, "moodling." I can moodle, you can moodle, and what will we come up with?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment