Monday, November 21, 2011

Vision and mission

I promised a different post for today and I'll try to write that one later, but first, I thought of something while reading a report one of the students just turned in from a recent convention she attended. She wrote up a session led by an adviser from Stetson University about a publication's vision and mission. A mission statement, she wrote, helps solve dilemmas about what to do and a vision statement "explains who you want to be." I have, in my job, helped craft vision and mission statements for publications and for a professional organization, but I've never developed them for myself. Reading her report, I am struck by the idea that it would be a good thing to do particularly at the time of retirement. Once done, "it is a good idea to post your statements where you can see them every day," she added. I think I oughta do that......

No comments:

Post a Comment