Sunday, January 29, 2012

"Rest" experiment update

Here's an update on the "rest" theory:

On January 13 I posted that I was ailing and was trying out the philosophy that resting when ill is a valid use of time, especially in retirement, when there's lots of time, right? I slept longer, drank hot tea, ate chicken soup, and generally lounged around on a lazy schedule. I was sure I would chase that cold away in a week or less.

A full two weeks later, the cold is almost, but not quite, gone. Two weeks. So much for the idea that rest saves me sick time.

A friend of mine, a pressured professional who sometimes gets sick but who almost never takes a sick day, told me his philosophy of illness: "When germs are chasing me, I try to run as fast as possible so they can't catch me." That's close to how I used to do things when working, and colds, which occurred rarely, almost never lasted more than 10 days.

I might give the rest experiment one more try the next time I come down with something, but so far it looks like the "Run so the germs can't catch you" model may be the one to stay with.


No comments:

Post a Comment