Saturday, December 10, 2011

First thing

It's a little after noon on Saturday. I moved out of the office yesterday, and I moved a large portion from the apartment this morning. Now I'm home, and this is it.

Friends have been asking, "What will be the first thing you'll do?" It seems like I should do something grand and symbolic. One of my friends said her husband, a busy gastroenterologist, went to the Mississippi River bridge right after he retired and, with some ceremony and great glee, threw his pager into the river.

I can't think of any comparably grand gesture... except to spend an evening doing nothing. There's a stack of boxes waiting to be incorporated into the household somehow and my dining room won't be useable until they are moved.... but 'nothing' sounds pretty grand to me. I think I'll go take a walk, then we might go out for dinner.....

No comments:

Post a Comment