Saturday, December 10, 2011

Not the only one!

In Googling for other blogs on retirement I came upon "The Dedalus Log," in which the very first paragraph distilled much of my feelings so far on retirement. So many of my friends, and my husband, had assured me without reservation that I would LOVE retirement. It was good to realize that I was not alone in feeling that retirement was a prospect fraught with uncertainties. This is what the Dedalus blogger wrote:

"The word retirement raises mixed feelings in me. The word both excites me, and repulses me. On the one hand, it generates visions of comfort, ease, relaxation, and freedom from the stress and constraints of work. I would not have to face the people, problems, and anxieties that bombard me every day as a middle school principal. I would be able to concentrate on the activities I enjoy: reading, writing, photographing, exercising, learning, meditating, and seeing new things and people. On the other hand, retirement also raises images of laziness, slovenliness, and activities without point or purpose. I see myself on a never-ending vacation: getting out of bed at 10:00 A.M., reading the newspaper until noon, distracting myself for hours on the computer, dining, drinking, and falling asleep in front of the television. I fear becoming dull, bored, and unkempt, without the need to produce, achieve, or impress."

I have wondered the same thing. One of my friends fears that if he retires, he will become a world-class piddler. I have wondered about that too.

But this, my first day of retirement, is not a time to worry about that. I'm going to close The Dedalus Log and go send some Christmas cards to my friends.....

1 comment: