Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Walls

For some weeks now, I've been sorting and diminishing the two decades' accumulation of stuff in my office. The recycle guy has hauled out many pounds of paper and I have carried out a few boxes of books and photos. The room is looking noticeably emptier, or so I thought. But co-workers would come by and say, "Hmmm, you've got a ways to go yet!"

Last night I took down the pictures and favorite layouts from my walls. This morning co-workers walking by stopped in their tracks. The empty expanses of red paint signified an ending much more starkly than partially empty shelves had.

At one point I had thought the pictures and layouts would be the last to go. Taking them down took only 10 minutes. But I found I need that visual reminder that the end is coming and I need to speed up. I still have things to write and submit before I go, and a couple of problems to resolve, in addition to leaving this office with organized and labeled contents. But the walls are a reminder that the end is coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment