Sunday, December 4, 2011

Party!

Had a truly amazing retirement party. Such fun seeing people from the whole 20 years-plus span of my work there. My first boss was there; an early student sent a thank-you; a flock of students from 10 years ago took time out of their jobs to come say hello. And current students came too. We put my collection of desk toys around on the tables, and the students went 'round and chose their favorites to take home. I had a lifelike cardboard-cutout cat that had lived in my office window for about 15 years and I officially passed it on to our business manager. There was great food and amazing desserts, and lots of laughter. It was all great fun.

My West Coast retired friend -- who is mostly retired but she keeps going back to do a few things -- says retirement parties are important as part of that final letting go. She didn't have one; a well-meaning colleague mistakenly passed on the idea that she didn't want one. Now she thinks a party might have been useful as a sort of official cutoff. I think she is right. Although I have five days left in the office, after that time I have no plans to go back in any capacity. I'm done and have said my goodbyes.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could have been there to help with your send-off. Sounds like a great way to say good-bye to that era of your life. And great way to let of the "office toys." :)

    ReplyDelete